Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Of Moose and Glue (to be continued)
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of Moose and Glue (to be continued)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Of Moose and Glue (to be continued) Reply with quote

Of Moose and Glue (to be continued)

Oh man, this was a long night even for me (she writes at 10:30am! Wink), but I realized I had to get the cloth glued on the new gift cooker before I went to sleep or it wouldn't have enough time to dry thoroughly before working/cooking in successive coats of wax and still have the whole thing ready to give away by Saturday morning, and I really don't want Elizabeth to wait yet another week for it. The days are definitely getting shorter now, and I want her to have some successes under her belt before they get really short! So I plunged in at two or three am (which is not that late for me) and started ironing and then marking and cutting the cotton fabric, which I had already washed and dried. Before I could move on to the actual gluing though, I had to take a break to try to discourage two moose and a white-tail deer from despoiling my garden and orchard.

White-tails are easy. Moose are extremely difficult to discourage from a safe distance, but sometimes if you make enough obnoxious noises (my repertoire includes but is not limited to a marine whistle that is audible for over a mile that I won't even blow without ear protection, a busted cymbal, and a fairly major piece of the shed that blew down that I can bang on the side of the garage) for a long enough time, they will eventually plod away in disgust, or at least go up to the willows and eat them instead of destroying my plum and pear and apple trees, away from that annoying woman! Rolling Eyes

Anyway....

For heaven's sake, think twice before you go around dipping strips of cloth in glue! I managed with the narrow strips that frame the window and wrap slightly down the sides, and I managed—just barely—to do the three strips along the front and sides of the lid, but when I looked at the 19" X 22" piece I'd cut for the top (iow, the back of the reflector) and most of the back strip of the lid, I quailed. It's not the dipping (though that would be bad enough), but it comes out with way too much glue to work with, so you have to strip it some before you try to stick it on, and I just couldn't see how I'd do that with such a big piece.

Continued in "More cloth and glue...." (since longer posts seem to get cut, I thought I should cut this one in half)

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: