Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Heaven's Flame question
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heaven's Flame question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Heaven's Flame question Reply with quote

We're making a Heaven's Flame (actually my husband and roommate will be doing much of the work... it's kind of a birthday present for me). My question regards the interior of the inner box. Is it really better to go with a black interior for this type of cooker, as the directions say, or is it actually better to go with foil (as suggested for most box ovens)? Does anyone have any relevant experience with this?

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the advantage of having the interior black is that it not only heats the air space in the oven but that it also heats the insulation. If you want to use reflectors inside the box then perhaps lining the outer box with silver would be useful. The heaven's flame I've built is really good at retaining heat when the sun is obscured, while other cookers tend to dip sharply. I think this is partly due to the stored heat within the walls, which in turn is promoted by the black walls.

Incidentally, I found it really effective to mix black poster paint with PVA to get the black paint for the interior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SharonID

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your helpful response.Smile With the crazy hours we keep at our house (eating supper extremely late, for example), heat retention when the sun goes down is an important consideration. My darling EZ Lid is a terrific cooker but only moderately successful for keeping things warm.

coconino wrote:
Incidentally, I found it really effective to mix black poster paint with PVA to get the black paint for the interior.

What is PVA?

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharonID wrote:
What is PVA?

Polyvinyl acetate - generic white glue used for woodworking, paper, etc. I'm told by my American friend that it's branded as "Elmer's glue" in the USA. I don't think there's a particular dominant brand in the UK, so everyone just calls it PVA instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SharonID

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconino wrote:
SharonID wrote:
What is PVA?

Polyvinyl acetate - generic white glue used for woodworking, paper, etc. I'm told by my American friend that it's branded as "Elmer's glue" in the USA. I don't think there's a particular dominant brand in the UK, so everyone just calls it PVA instead.

Thanks! I'm definitely fixed for that stuff... I just bought two gallons of it! (I'm going to try the fabric/glue/beeswax thing on the new Easy Lid I'm building for a friend, so I stocked up!)

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the paint. That does sound like it would be much better than spray paint for doing cardboard.

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: