Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Parvati cooker and Heaven's Flame go head-to-head in London
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parvati cooker and Heaven's Flame go head-to-head in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Parvati cooker and Heaven's Flame go head-to-head in London Reply with quote

It was a fabulously sunny day in London today so I took two cookers to the park, the Parvati and the Heaven's Flame. I tried cooking several simple things, though I admit that I'm still a way off getting the hang of this. Anyway, here's what I cooked and the graphs and pictures are below.

In the Parvati:
  • (top section) mess of pottage
      100g (1/2 cup) green lentils
      60g (1/4 cup) brown rice
      30g chopped onion
      200ml water
      pinch of salt

• (base section) rice
      150g brown rice
      250ml water
      pinch of salt

In the Heaven's Flame:
  • (glass jar) 300g potato, no water
  • (glass jar) 3 unbroken eggs, no water
  • (black painted glass jar) 500ml water
  • (glass jar) tomato sauce with peas
      50g yellow split peas, dry (not soaked)
      30g chopped onion
      100g tomato puree
      300ml water
      salt and spices

I can't account for the dip at 11:50. The cookers were moved at about 12:20 which seems to have had a small effect.

The first reading is high due to the pot standing around for a few minutes while I was setting-up the other cooker. The dip at 12:40 was due to people standing chatting in front of the Parvati.

Parallel readings. Both cookers reached boiling point within 50 minutes, which is the best result so far in this series of tests.

The test begins.

Potatoes in jar with green top, eggs in gold-topped jar.

The tomato and split-pea sauce was simmering nicely when this was taken.

This dandelion was in the Heaven's Flame for just a few minutes.

Rice was probably over-done, or had a little too much water.

Esau's mess of pottage was probably more soup-like than this.

The presentation leaves something to be desired, but it tasted good.

Kids are not so sure!

Last edited by coconino on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coconino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Further thoughts Reply with quote

The potatoes were well done but a little dry on the outside. Next time I'll try adding a little water in the bottom just to keep them moist. The lentils and rice were perfect. One result of this sort of cooking is that food doesn't get mashed up with stirring so the lentils remained whole although they were well cooked and soft. The split peas were still slightly underdone after three-and-a-half hours but palatable nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: