Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Plywood As A Material & Off-Gassing Risks?
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plywood As A Material & Off-Gassing Risks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efyl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Plywood As A Material & Off-Gassing Risks? Reply with quote

I have built a few solar cookers in the past and am about to build a new, lighter weight box cooker for myself, as well as solar dryer for a friend. I have access to plenty of thin, lightweight plywood from a furniture factory and I've been hoping to use it. One of my friends though recently has raised concerns as to the use of plywood as a material in devices which will contain food. He told me about his experience of leaving a load of plywood in his station wagon one hot day and how it was weeks before the formaldehyde smell was gone.

My question is, is it safe at all to use plywood for these applications? Is there anything I can coat the interior with to make it safe? I've always let solar cookers heat up a number of days before cooking food in them, in case they were off-gassing. Recently I've read though that there are two types of resins used. Some plywood has "urea formaldehyde resins" which apparently emit more formaldehyde than those with "phenol formaldehyde resins". I don't know if it's possible to identify which resin a particular piece of plywood has.

Any advice on this material choice is appreciated.

- Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: