Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Round-the-world 24-hour solar cooking event?
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Round-the-world 24-hour solar cooking event?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Round-the-world 24-hour solar cooking event? Reply with quote

From Sharon's post about her SC advocacy event I discovered that both she and I were running events on the same day but thousands of miles apart, such that just as I was packing up, she was getting started. This gave me the idea that it could be a good awareness-raising event to spend a day cooking while following the sun around the world. What I mean is, a day would be chosen and in each time-zone people would begin solar cooking an hour later, and continuing like this for 24 hours to follow the sun. It could be a way to involve people from many different communities and to raise issues to do with fuel poverty and environmental issues. I reckon it could be educational and fun in all sorts of ways, and the event could be followed live over the internet with people posting pics and live reports of what they were doing. I think that as well as being an advocacy platform such an event would be great for strengthening the SC community around the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coconino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's a crazy idea and I'm already thinking of all the holes in it, such as unpredictable weather and the north-south seasonal differences, but what do others here think about the idea of having some sort of global event, perhaps linked to some existing environment-related event? Has this sort of thing already been done for solar cooking?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coconino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I told my friend about this idea she said it had to happen on a Sunday.
SharonID

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconino wrote:
Of course it's a crazy idea and I'm already thinking of all the holes in it, such as unpredictable weather and the north-south seasonal differences, but what do others here think about the idea of having some sort of global event, perhaps linked to some existing environment-related event? Has this sort of thing already been done for solar cooking?

Well, I like crazy ideas! Wink Yes, weather could be a problem, but in places where the weather made real cooking impossible, cookers could be on display (perhaps with photos of foods they have cooked), and with even a little bit of sun one can demonstrate that things do start to heat up. (Some things take more heat, but one can cook a jar of delicious fruit with temps as low as 180F.)

If we could just get more people posting on these forums it would help. Some seeds take awhile to germinate, but you've got the kernal of a wonderful idea. Isn't Earth Day something of an international thing? I was thinking I should try to do something with suncooking next time Earth Day rolls around. Even if next May is too soon to pull together a real 'round the world sun cookoff, if at least some of us do something on that day it's a step in the right direction.

Anyway, I think it's a cool idea.Cool

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: