Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Cutting 4 by 8 plastic sheet to cone parabolic dishes
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting 4 by 8 plastic sheet to cone parabolic dishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaiatechnician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Cutting 4 by 8 plastic sheet to cone parabolic dishes Reply with quote

I need a half dish for a project and I decided to try the cone method to design the parabolic dish. Luck made the design fit a 4 by 8 sheet of corrugated plastic with almost no waste. (Full parabolic dishes from cones do not fit easily on a 4 by 8 sheet)
Here is the link
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-parabolic-solar-dish-from-an-8-by-4-sheet-o/
[/img]http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/File:Optimizing_use_of_8_by_4_plastic_sheet.jpg[/img]
I show cut marks for making a half dish, but if you ignore the cut marks, you have extremely good use of the 4 by 8 sheet!
I am sure others can play with this and get it better but even as is, it might be a great way of making transportable parabolic dishes. Just have the cuts made and velcro or zippers to zip the dish together on the spot!
Brian [/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technologies (Solar Cookers and Related) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: