Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Who has a simple description of solar cooking 4 the public?
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has a simple description of solar cooking 4 the public?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaz Steadman

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Who has a simple description of solar cooking 4 the public? Reply with quote

When I'm in the grocery store, I try to meet folks and introduce them to the idea of solar cooking, especially if I look in their shopping cart and they have veggies or other healthy foods.

I ask, "have you ever heard of solar cooking?". You know how it goes. Their eyes glaze over, they enter a trance like state. "Nooooo (why is this guy talking to me?)"

I know that there are solar box cookers, panel cookers, parabolic and fresnel cookers, but I like to keep it simple by giving the example of a box cooker.

I say "It's basically a box with food in it, covered with a piece of glass, and some refectors to guide the sunlight in to heat the chamber. Did you know that this simple oven uses no gas or electricity and can get as hot as 350 degrees?"

Their next response is either, "How nice. See you later.", or, "YES! We did that when I was a girl scout!"

I'd like to hear your experiences (funny or not) and how you describe solar cooking to the folks you meet.

Thanks!
Chaz
SharonID

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a simple description of solar cooking 4 the publ Reply with quote

Chaz Steadman wrote:
When I'm in the grocery store, I try to meet folks and introduce them to the idea of solar cooking, especially if I look in their shopping cart and they have veggies or other healthy foods.

I ask, "have you ever heard of solar cooking?". You know how it goes. Their eyes glaze over, they enter a trance like state. "Nooooo (why is this guy talking to me?)"

LOL... I'm more likely to chat up the clerk about it. They often say something like, "How have you been doing?" or "How's it going?" or somesuch, thing which is the perfect opening for talking about fun with solar cooking or an upcoming project or event or whatever, and most of the clerks like having somone with something different to say come through. I sometimes hook the people in line behind me when I'm chatting up the clerk, and I try to always have my little yellow flyers with the SCA url with me. I got a new charge card that let me upload my own graphic, so now my Mastercard has a picture of my EZ-3 on it that I can show them.Cool

Chaz Steadman wrote:
I know that there are solar box cookers, panel cookers, parabolic and fresnel cookers, but I like to keep it simple by giving the example of a box cooker.

I say "It's basically a box with food in it, covered with a piece of glass, and some refectors to guide the sunlight in to heat the chamber. Did you know that this simple oven uses no gas or electricity and can get as hot as 350 degrees?"

Their next response is either, "How nice. See you later.", or, "YES! We did that when I was a girl scout!"

I had a layover in Seattle on my way back from California, and ended up sharing a table in an overcrowded food court with another woman traveling alone. Turned out her father used to work marvels with a solar box oven thirty or so years ago, and she had been wondering where to go for information on cooking with sunshine. She was happy to get one my yellow flyers.

Some of those Girl Scout memories are kind of half-baked, but I assure them we have improved models these days.<grin>

Chaz Steadman wrote:
I'd like to hear your experiences (funny or not) and how you describe solar cooking to the folks you meet.

When I only have a short time to talk, I usually tell them that if they hand me a silver windshield shade, two or three spring clamps, a bucket or tub, and a grate, I'll build them a solar cooker in two minutes.Very Happy

People seem more interested as time goes on and power costs keep rising, and it does help that the paper did the story about me, because at least some of them recognize me from that. So if you haven't been in the newspaper for solar cooking where you live, you should work on that, because then you can be a local celebrity instead of just another hippie or green nerd solar cooking nut.Wink

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Fun topic and I wish there were more folks here to respond.

Regards,

SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: