Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - Doing article for Back Home magazine!
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing article for Back Home magazine!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Doing article for Back Home magazine! Reply with quote

I received a positive response to my query and am now in the early stages of putting together an article for the July/August issue of "Back Home" magazine! Woo hoo! This is a big professional break for me, as well as a great opportunity to promote solar cooking. Since they have already run articles on building a number of types of solar cookers, this article will focus on an overview of the various types of solar cookers and what their respective strong suits are, with recipes to illustrate.

I'm hoping to include some commercial cookers as well as homemade ones. I already have the HotPot that SHE gave me for promotional purposes (unfortunately too late last season to work strongly at my latitude, but I could tell that it will work here at least 5-6 months of the year, especially for slow cooker type recipes). I'm in negotiations with Deris Jeanette of Cleardome Solar, and it looks as if I may have the opportunity to borrow one of his new Octagon parabolic cookers to try, which I am very excited about. I'm still in the process of emailing cooker companies to talk about cooker loans, but so far it's going well. There will probably be a sidebar with sources and resources, and I will have SCI, SCA, and SHE high on the list, but any commercial cookers I can try out and mention will have their companies in there, too. So if anyone reading this is making and marketing a cooker and wants to give me a whack at it for possible inclusion in the article, drop me a line (click on Memberlist to get to where you can email me, and please use a clear subject line so I can tell you from the spam!) and we'll talk. Since this article is a broad overview, we are talking brief mention, not a full/long review, but it's at least a bit of public mention, and if I have a chance to use your cooker I can then send out queries regarding real reviews.

Wish me luck! I've sold a lot of fiction (albeit to a specialty market, under pen-names) over several years, but this is my biggest break in moving into non-fiction yet! (Some success in the non-fiction arena would be a huge help in keeping going while I work on the novels.) And they want pictures, too (I'll try to do one or more group shots, so all or most of any commercial loaners may have a shot at being seen, too). I know some pros if they don't like my pictures, but I'm a fair shot myself, and if I take the pictures, I'm the one getting paid for them.<grin> Now if I'd only hear back on my query to "Grit" magazine.... One can hope.

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: