Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - London Urban Green Fair, 9th September
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London Urban Green Fair, 9th September

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: London Urban Green Fair, 9th September Reply with quote

I will be doing a solar cooker demonstration and workshop at the Urban Green Fair, in London on Sunday 9th September.

If there is enough sunshine I expect to be cooking, but in any case I will have several different cookers on display and will be showing people how to make their own.

For more information, see http://urbangreenfair.org.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coconino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the paragraph at the bottom left corner it says "see a solar cooker".

For more information, see http://urbangreenfair.org.uk/

Bigger version of the leaflet here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coco

Just seen the post, wish I could come along but stuck with kids parties in North London.

Weather looks promising though.............good luck!

Stewart
coconino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's looking a bit grim today, so I'm keeping everything crossed hoping that our unpredictable weather does me a favour tomorrow. I've given up looking at the forecast; one thing I've learned since I started working with solar cookers and taking a great deal more notice of the sky than I ever did before is that the forecast even a day ahead isn't worth much. For instance, the BBC web forecast says right now London should be sunny and warm, but the look-out-the-window forecast says there's cloud (altostratus?) from horizon to horizon.

Enjoy the party!
Stewart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Comparison Reply with quote

Coco
How did it go? This is what I got a fraction of a dgree north from Brockwell Park

Hackney, London
Set up the box cooker just before 12:00 with 2 heavy glass black jars inside and heavens flame type collector. Patchy sun, warm, a bit muggy. Ambient shade temp about 23

1:00pm 50dgs C in the oven
2:00pm up to 70 dgs
3:00pm down to 55dgs (sun has gone in now, grey cloud over sun)
dismantled box as not cooking anything.

Should have set it up earlier to warm the box up faster. Box is 90mm foam batts with reflective silvering, with thermal break alu frame and obscure double glazing. Got out of going to kid party by promising to clean up, er..better do some.

Still reckon I could get it past 100dgs on a full day of proper sun. not smog.

Stew
coconino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fill out this reply a bit more later, but here's a pic of my set-up at the fair. I didn't get to see much of the rest of the fair, I was too busy answering questions.

There was a constant stream of visitors coming to look at the cookers and I gave out 33 leaflets, which doesn't sound like many but I was only giving them to people who I'd spoken to and who showed real interest. I also had a small display showing the WAPI.

coconino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another view taken by London Permaculture:

SharonID

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! Way to go! Your cookers are beautiful!!Very Happy Is the one that looks like a Sun Oven homemade, too? Your cookers are much prettier than mine (except for maybe the Happy Sunshine... did you see the photo?), but they all get stuff hot, so that's ok.Wink Maybe this winter I'll have time to try for a Parvati. Josh and Liz (my husband and the good friend who's lived with us for over 10 years, and is a whiz at building things, though since she hurt her back she can't do as much of it) are supposed to be making me a Heaven's Flame for a late birthday present (with me to help with the foiling, which means we can enter it in the County Fair next year as a "Family Project"), but other things keep getting in the way of getting it done. Hopefully I'll have it by late fall, since it seems like a good bet for a push-the-season cooker.

Anyway, it's a very nice display, and I'm sure people were impressed. Good for you for making the effort. I'll try to get Liz to download our camera (she's the official keeper and backer-upper of the family photos) tonight so I can add at least a couple of photos to the post about my event.

Coconino is Cool!

Regards,
SharonID
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Europe and North America All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: