Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums :: View topic - A universal leaflet.
Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A universal leaflet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharonID

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: A universal leaflet. Reply with quote

I just uploaded the text/format for a leaflet promoting solar cooking that can be copied freely as long as distribution will be free. It is universal in terms of being relevant almost anywhere on earth, and is set up to produce three copies to a page, so it is reasonably economical to reproduce. If you make some copies and take them along wherever you go, you will have something to give people when you bring up solar cooking that will give them a little basic information and direct them to the SCA website if they'd like to learn more. Check it out at: http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Solarcookleaflet2.pdf

People don't always remember information or urls given in casual conversation, and it's all too easy to lose a url scrawled on a scrap of paper, but an attractively presented third-of-a-sheet leaflet has a better chance of surviving long enough to actually make it to someone's computer. So if you like to talk to people about solar cooking, carry something easy to hand them that will encourage them to folow through on checking it out. I get my copies made at a locally owned print shop, and the owner usually gives me a bit of a discount on cutting with his big cutter that can do them all at once, because he sees it as a bit of environmental support on his part (he's a good guy... my first Easy Lid was built in the box that he got his laptop in, which I cadged out of him on my first visit to print flyers!). I have mine done in a sunny yellow called "goldenrod", which has post-consumer recycled fiber contact. They look nice and stand out well without being too neon-y. It's a tidy layout though, so even if you print it on white at home it will look nice.

I don't know if you can get the formatting via the website, but at least you can see how it looks. If you need to get it in some other form to work with it, just send me an email or message me via this site.

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they say about great minds? I put together something very similar last month, which I've put here as a PDF. I've also been printing mine on yellow.

Mine is quite specific to me here in London, but it did cross my mind to do a more generic one for wider distribution. You beat me to it!

I've also been working on a standard sheet for noting test data, the latest version of which is here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coconino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this a bit further, and having printed your leaflet out, I notice that you've done your "universal" leaflet to US ANSI A size, while most of the world uses the ISO standard (I think just the US and Canada use ANSI). This isn't much of a problem, but if you want to have equally-spaced leaflets as big as possible on the sheet then it might be worth considering whether two versions would be useful, one for US printers and one for everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SharonID

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconino wrote:
Thinking about this a bit further, and having printed your leaflet out, I notice that you've done your "universal" leaflet to US ANSI A size, while most of the world uses the ISO standard (I think just the US and Canada use ANSI). This isn't much of a problem, but if you want to have equally-spaced leaflets as big as possible on the sheet then it might be worth considering whether two versions would be useful, one for US printers and one for everyone else.

Thank you, THANK you! I'm waiting for the weekend when my techno-spouse can help me with this, but I definitely want to do a version that works for the rest of the world! I'll get it done and then go amend the posts/links to present both versions. I just wasn't aware of the necessity, and I am very grateful to you for pointing it out!

Regards,
SharonID
SharonID

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Typos! Reply with quote

Despite my best efforts, I managed to upload the second leaflet with at least two typos in it! Rolling Eyes (I can never afford new glasses as often as would be ideal, a major contributing factor when it comes to typos.) I'll try to fix them soon, but I can't do it right now because I have to get to town to see a doctor about my latest wasp or hornet sting (which turns out to be the biggest hazzard to solar cooking in my region!). This one is not behaving as well as the others... an area a few inches below the sting is very swollen and hot to the touch, despite regular dosing with diphenhydramine for over 24 hours... and I need to see someone before the weekend. Anyway, I will try to fix the mistake and also upload the version formatted for the rest of the world as soon as I can, but meanwhile be warned there are typos, and anyone finds any others, post here or e me quick!

Regards,
SharonID
SharonID

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Typos fixed and need more size info, please! Reply with quote

The typos are fixed! (At least the ones I've found so far... please tell me if any of you find any more.)

coconino wrote:

Can you please give me a measurement? I've got a few options, but my husband and I want to be sure we're using the right one before I upload it, and there are a couple different things that he thinks might be it, maybe a distinction like that between the USA's "letter" size and "legal" size. The letter size sheets I use for the leaflets are 8 1/2 by 11 inches (216 x 279 mm). What is the actual measurement in your standard paper that comes in closest to that size? Thanks for any help you can give me, as I want this to be as universally useful as possible.

Regards,
SharonID
coconino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Typos fixed and need more size info, please! Reply with quote

SharonID wrote:
... The letter size sheets I use for the leaflets are 8 1/2 by 11 inches (216 x 279 mm). What is the actual measurement in your standard paper that comes in closest to that size? ...

A4 size is pretty much standard outside the US and is exactly 210 x 197 mm. Wikipedia has lots of detail, but those dimensions are all you need really. I find that my little printer has trouble going right to the bottom of the sheet so I tend to leave a big gap in my layouts, but YMMV.

By the way, the great advantage of the ISO sizes is that they scale in proportion from one size to the next, so if a leaflet is designed for A4 and the print budget is cut the artwork can be scaled in proportion to fit two A5s side-by-side on an A4.

When I checked for the latest version of your leaflet the file was empty, but the previous version (with typos) is available in the history. It says a lot in a small space, but I have a few comments which I hope you will find constructive: I think "push the season" is too idiomatic; there is perhaps too much emphasis on the use of spray paint; and the whole safety aspect is possibly too prominent (nobody is going to sue you!) and risks overshadowing the message that making and using solar cookers is interesting and fun.

(PS, I hope your sting is feeling better!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Solar Cooking Archive Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Worldwide Advocacy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: